Learn about the #KidsNeedBooks & #KidsNeedMentors movement HERE
School Visits and Workshops
I’m currently booking school visits for the 2018-2019 school year! Contact me HERE for my schedule and rates.
I used to teach, so I love to connect with students! I’m currently offering FREE SKYPE VISITS to any class that has read The Benefits of Being an Octopus. I’m also available to do large assemblies or smaller workshops on the following topics:
- RECOGNIZING YOUR SUPERPOWERS: In The Benefits of Being an Octopus, the main character Zoey works to find her voice despite the realities of poverty, and I use her example to discuss the importance of: 1) Recognizing your own superpowers, 2) Naming the obstacles keeping you from being the person you want to be, 3) Finding the courage to speak up, and 4) Teaming up with allies who will listen and support you. I give each student a temporary octopus tattoo which is what Zoey used in the book to remind herself of her inner strength, so that they can use it to do the same.
- THE POWER OF REVISION: Deeper Thinking and a More Organized Brain (The “Motivational Revision Dance” is great for all ages. Check out this video featuring Miss Ali’s Second Grade Class:
- THE CREATIVE WRITING PROCESS: Breaking Open the Possibilities & Discovering Your Story One Layer at a Time (Even If You Don’t Think of Yourself as a Writer)
- TALKING ACROSS THE DIVIDE: Finding Common Ground in a Polarizing Environment
- THE PATH TO PUBLICATION: Pushing Past Rejection
If you have other ideas for talks or workshops, I’d love to connect and collaborate. I used to teach middle school social studies, and lesson-planning is still one of my loves.
To get a sense of my teaching style, check out the videos below.